Brews by Country

Wednesday 27 June 2018

Wild Gravity IPA (5.2%) - BAD Co, North Yorkshire, England

Another can into my oh-heck-I'm-one-year-older batch and what I pulled out of my special beer place struck me for two reasons. Firstly, the brewery's name on the can featuring so boldly beside a relaxed Britannia, trident in one hand, brew in the other, would prove to be either extremely self-deprecating or deeply ironic, and I fortunately discovered it to be the latter. Secondly, sitting on top of the can was no ordinary tab.  

For so long, 360° cans were something I only saw Americans drinking from on Instagram, but now thanks to BAD Co, who were one of the first breweries to introduce these to the UK, I was 
in for a whole new type of exbeerience.

Being so unversed in the working of these, the almighty hiss as I pulled the top off gave me a startle - but once the full force of its fruity and floral aroma smacked me round the nose I was well and truly put at ease. My can now completely topless, it felt almost as if I was peering into something forbidden.

North Yorkshire within England
Unlike traditional cans which conceal the beer's aroma, these make for decent drinking receptacles in their own right. But I wanted to see the full package, and after transferring it to the glass it was destined for, the bubbling hazy amber liquid was fully revealed, crowned with a cushion of white head. 

Going in for a proper whiff, sweet tropical aromas of mangoes and peaches with a few tangerine segments and their zesty peel - along with a bready backing as the brew warmed up - oozed up my nostrils.  

A smooth and juicy mouthful brought delicate, floral hops with a dash of herbs, rounded off with a dry, bitter lime finish.

Described as aggressive and bold on the can, for me in an era of tongue-shreddingly hop-heavy IPAs, it came across more as mercifully laid-back and easy-drinking. Although, as beer-swigging Britannia reminds us on the can, this is a British brew yielding a more understated character. But let's not get bogged down in labels and just enjoy this beer for the delightful experience it is, from a brewery that's anything but BAD. 

Rating 





The brewery
Website here
Facebook page here

Where to buy
£1.75 from Morrisons

No comments:

Post a Comment